Much loved local venue the Windmill Brixton launches a fundraising rock & roll auction tomorrow (1 December).
All proceeds will go directly to the venue to ensure its survival in the face of the ongoing pandemic restrictions.
As the organisers remind us: “The Windmill Brixton is in imminent danger of shutting its doors for good.
“The flat-roofed cultural mecca has nurtured and championed Mercury Prize nominees black midi and Kae Tempest, Grammy-nominated Fontaines D.C., feral hellraisers Fat White Family and BBC 6 music darlings Warmduscher, Goat Girl, Squid, Tiña, Insecure Men and countless others.
Prior to the pandemic hitting, the Windmill, an inclusive, genre-hopping venue already firmly established on the UK music map, was set to launch itself further into the stratosphere with their own stage at world-renowned festival SXSW, as well as curating a Windmill stage at the inaugural Wide Awake Festival in London.
“It has now been identified by the Music Venue Trust as one of the 30 venues across the country most at risk of closure.
“We simply cannot allow it to go under.”
The auction opens at noon on Tuesday 1 December.
It will be a rolling affair with some items up for just seven days, others available to buy outright, and new items being added along the way.”
Highlights include a drumming lesson with Morgan from black midi; the guitar that Fruitbat from Carter USM played at the 1991 Smash Hits Poll Winner’s Party (the one where they rugby-tackled Phillip Schofield to the ground); the iconic crow mask from Goat Girl’s Crow Cries video; and a signed work shirt from the Sleaford Mods’ Jason Williamson – “a souvenir from the last shit office job he had”.
So dig deep and get your Christmas pressies sorted for the music lovers in your life. As the organisers say: “Treat a friend, treat yourself – it’s been a crap year!”
Full list of auction items (contributions from Shame, plus more TBA):
- Carter USM – Fruitbat’s guitar played at the infamous ‘Phillip Schofield incident’ 1991 Smash Hits Poll Winners Party awards show
- Sleaford Mods – Jason Williamson’s signed work shirt from his last ‘normal’ job in 2014
- Anna Calvi – x 2 A3 signed photographs of Anna
- Fontaines D.C. – A2 print from guitarist Carlos’ forthcoming new line of photos, signed by all the band
- Speedy Wunderground – Producer Dan Carey’s famous smoke machine used at SW Windmill gigs and in his Streatham studio during recording sessions plus SW label test pressings by Black Country, New Road & Steve Mason/ Emiliana Torrini plus Dan’s last label promo of ‘bmbmbm’ by black midi plus a promo of first SW release ‘I Go Out’ by Steve Mason/ ET
- black midi – one-off drumming lesson w/ Morgan Simpson to take place in person at the Windmill
- Fat White Family – a one off drawing by Saul plus a pair of his (worn) socks; ‘Blogonese Live!’ – a zoom chat version of Lias’ tumblr blog where you will discuss all things bolognese with him
- Meatraffle/ Scud FM – one off artworks by frontman Zsa Zsa Sapien: x1 ‘Spanish revolution’ oil pastel on aluminium, x1 ‘Disco Helmet’, x1 ‘Valve Chain’ – fashion statements like no other/ unique art for your home
- Warmduscher – ‘Baby Blue Devil’ merch tees (currently sold out), pimped up by Clams Baker
- The Rebel aka Ben Wallers from Country Teasers – his STETSON HAT plus the only remaining copy of his hand-drawn, handwritten comic ‘LICE AS PETS’
- Goat Girl – Crow mask (as seen in Crow Cries video)
- Squid – Squid Superfan ‘Time Capsule’ Superpackage including signed ‘The Dial’ 12″ single plus merch plus more from the early days of the band
- Tiña – Josh Loftin’s iconic pink cowboy hat as worn by him EVERYWHERE for EVERYTHING! plus Ollie’s pink guitar signed by the band
- PVA – Korg synth they wrote ‘Divine Intervention’ on, hand painted & decorated by the band
- Sorry – drummer Lincoln’s Roland keyboard
deep tan – deep tan With Cans (socially distanced meet up with the band), photos of DT feet, x3 limited edition hand printed t-shirts
- Nuha Ruby Ra – x2 hand painted jackets
- Mellah – A signed copy of each of his two EPs ‘Middle England’ and ‘Liminality’ plus will write & record a personalised song about whatever the winning bidder wants a song about
- Lou Smith – ‘Whitest Boy On The Beach’ photo print taken by Lou featuring Saul, Lias & Nathan (Fat White Family) signed by the band plus Fat White Family ‘Early Years’ photo book signed by the band (photos by Lou)
- PLUS: Peter Harris, Superstation Twatville, JOHN, Robert Rubbish, Mysterion Art Lab, Bénédicte Dacquin, Through The Eyes Of Ruby
For more info about this project contact La Staunton