Pop Brixton is calling for applications from the local community to join its steering group.
Steering group members attend regular meetings and have the opportunity to shape the future of the project. The role includes guiding and advising Pop Brixton’s management team; ensuring its social objectives are met; and, connecting the project with relevant individuals and organisations within the community.
Pop Brixton offers 20 per cent of its units at subsidised rates to social enterprises and complete start-ups from the local area. A key role for the steering group members is helping deciding who should be provided with this supported space.
Applicants must attend regular meetings, with a two hour session being hosted every other month. The responsibilities of steering group membership will also include additional time for reviewing key documents and policy, as well reaching out to the local community.
Steering Group Make Up
In order to achieve a balanced membership that represents the interests of many local stakeholders, the steering group will include the following positions:
- 1 Ward Councillor (Chair), 1 Ward Councillor (Participant), 1 Regeneration Officer (Lambeth Council)
- 1 Pop Brixton Staff, 1 Make Shift Staff
- 1 Brixton Resident, 1 Local Business Owner, 1 Pop Brixton Tenant Member
- 1 Local Arts Organisation, 1 Social Enterprise or Charity
- 1 Youth Representative (Lambeth resident aged 16-24)
- 1 Community Organisation
Fill in an application online. Once interviews have taken place, nominees will need to provide two references. Applicants will then be invited to meet with management team and Lambeth Council to discuss the role and responsibilities.
The final decision will be made by Lambeth Council and Pop Brixton’s management team based on the following:
- Locality: Where do they live/work in relation to the site
- Ethos: Do they understand the Pop Brixton ethos and are they committed to furthering the cause
- Commitment: Are they able to commit the time required to join the group?
- Experience: Do they have relevant experience of participating in similar groups?
Application are now open. Deadline for application is Sunday 25 September. The new steering group’s first meeting will be in early October.
Find out more here.