A fire broke out about 7pm yesterday at Launderama, Brixton Road, when a tumble dryer overheated.
The police were first to arrive and cordoned off the building with police tape while the fire blazed, they were shortly followed by two fire engines.
The fire brigade swiftly put out the fire and inspected the building and its ventilation systems. However, half an hour later the police had still not managed to make contact with a the owner; the coin operated launderette is self-service and there were no staff on site when the fire broke out.
While no one was hurt people were concerned about the fate of their laundry. Some wet laundry had been placed on the street outside the launderette and the building was still sealed off. The damage to the building appears to be minimal but it as off yet unknown when the launderette will be reopened.