Transport for London (TfL) say they don’t expect any Tube trains to or from Brixton Station during the strike by members of the the Maritime and Transport union (RMT) and the Transport Salaried Staffs Association (TSSA).
There will be no Tube trains between Brixton and Victoria on the Victoria Line, and most other Underground lines are expected to be badly hit. The strike is expected to take place from Tuesday evening through to Thursday evening.
A TfL spokesman today warned commuters to try and finish their journeys as early as possible tomorrow evening (Tuesday). He added: “We will run as many Tube services as we can but there will be disruption and some lines may have a limited service.”
Union members are taking action over planned job cuts on the network.
Alternative routes to work from Brixton Tube Station
There are a number of options open to travellers well used to the convenience and ease of the Victoria Line from Brixton.
- Overland trains run every 15 minutes from Brixton Rail station, Atlantic Road, to Victoria and whisk you there in just eight mins. TfL say they hope to be running Victoria Line Tube trains from Victoria to Seven Sisters every five minutes. District and Circle line trains should be running through Victoria every eight minutes.
- Trains from Herne Hill and Loughborough Junction Stations – both ten to 15 minutes walk from central Brixton, will take you into the City, Farringdon and Kings Cross. For times see National Rail.
- The Overground from Clapham High Street can whizz you around east London to Highbury and Islington. Northern Line trains will not stop at Clapham North .
- Jump on a bus from Brixton (but not the main stops on Brixton Road which will be heaving) or, better still, walk to Stockwell Station, where TfL hope to run trains about every five minutes on the Northern Line. These trains are not expected to stop at Clapham North.
- Best of all, why not dust off that rusty bike, check the brakes, oil the chain and take the healthier route to work you should be taking anyway.
More information on services from the TfL website here: www.tfl.gov.uk