Flats evacuated in Shakespeare Rd blaze

Brixton Fire Station
Brixton Fire Station

More than 80 people had to be evacuated from a block of flats yesterday, as a blaze swept through an apartment in Shakespeare Road, Brixton.

The fire, which broke out in Loughborough Court at 8am yesterday, was thought to have started after a woman fell asleep while cooking.

Four fire engines along with 21 firefighters and officers were called, and rescued a woman who had suffered smoke inhalation.

The woman was taken to hospital, but no-one else was injured in the blaze.

A spokesman for the London Fire Brigade said: “It seems that the woman put some cooking on the stove and then fell asleep, which is how the fire started. Cooking when you’re tired or have had a drink is very dangerous. If you think there’s a chance you might fall asleep, make a cold sandwich instead.”

Around half of the two bedroom flat was damaged by the fire, which was under control by 9.15am.


Comments are closed.