Hondo tower hearing postponed

architectural cgi
Computer generated image of the proposed tower seen from outside Lambeth town hall

In the latest strange twist in the “Hondo tower” saga, London mayor Sadiq Khan has agreed to postpone his hearing on plans for a 20-storey tower on Pope’s Road in Brixton. It had been due to take place on 10 June.

The mayor “called in” the application after Lambeth council approved it.

A statement on the mayor of London website said that, following a request from the applicant received on Tuesday 31 May, “without prejudice to the mayor’s position and any subsequent decision he may make, the mayor has agreed to postpone the hearing”.

The terse statement said that the postponement is on the basis that “significant concerns have been raised by Historic England and others which would require commensurate changes if these are to be overcome” and that “re-engagement should involve the local community as well as statutory bodies”.

The statement said notice of a new date for the hearing will be given “in due course”.

Historic England’s concerns about the plan have been well known and publicised since they were made two years ago. 

This is not the first delay to the planning process for the tower.

Lambeth council’s planning committee deferred consideration of the application by the Amsterdam based company AG Hondo Popes Road BV and the mayor of London extended its consultation period on the application.

A report by on the application by officers had been promised “at least seven clear days in advance of the hearing” on 10 June, including a recommendation to the mayor. But it had not been published by the start of the extended jubilee bank holiday.

What's your opinion?