Carnegie Community Hub is an exciting project to develop the Carnegie Library building in Herne Hill as a Hub managed by and for the local community.
We are re-opening the building following the restrictions of the pandemic and we are keen to appoint to two part-time posts to support the next stages of our development.
You can read about Carnegie Community Hub at Carnegie Library, Herne Hill Road London SE24 0AG and the Carnegie Community Trust which runs the Hub on our website
This is rewarding opportunity for a part-time Centre Manager and a part time Caretaker to join our Carnegie Community Trust working in a beautiful building in the heart of Herne Hill. You will be an integral part of mobilising this service.
Do you have what it takes to help Carnegie Community Trust to deliver our vision and business plan? Focussed on the customer in the community and putting them at the heart of everything you do. Does that sound like you? If so, we have the opportunity for you.
CCT is committed to inclusion as one of our core values, and we will make sure that no applicants or employees receive less favourable treatment than others on grounds of race, sex, marital status, religion, disability or sexual orientation or be disadvantaged by any conditions or requirements which cannot be shown to be justifiable.
We actively encourage applications from people of all backgrounds, abilities and cultures and believe that a diverse workforce will help us to achieve our mission.
As the Centre Manager, you will work alongside the Board of Trustees and your role will be to co-ordinate the day-to-day operations and all aspects of facilities management.
You will act as an ambassador for the Carnegie Community Trust whilst being the first point of contact for residents and businesses using the site, actively embracing and contributing to the business direction set by Board of Trustees.
Do you have the skills critical to succeed in this role?
Inspiring, well-organised and effective person who is passionate about working in collaboration with local people and colleagues, to drive the successful delivery of the Trust’s business plan.
Self-driven and solution-focused to ensure the smooth and effective commercial and operational running of the site, with a focus on the delivery of excellent service to our customers and consumers.
Passion for and understanding of entrepreneurial / creative communities.
As the caretaker you will work alongside the Centre Manager and the Trustees and your role will be to ensure security and site compliance when rooms are hired – particularly in unsocial hours
You will be the public face of the Hub with many of our customers
You will be reliable, able to work alone, and accountable
These two posts could be combined or appointed separately.
To apply for the posts
Please send us your CV, including your employment history, with a note setting out:
Your name, address, phone number and email address
Which post/s you are applying for and why?
Your experience and skills relevant to the job description/s below – particularly working in a paid or voluntary capacity with local communities.
How you can demonstrate your commitment to treating people equally
Any notice period you may need to give.
Please send your application to email@example.com by Friday 26 June 2021.
Title of Post – Carnegie Community Hub Centre Manager – 15 hours per week initially – flexible to be agreed with successful candidate – remuneration £12,000 per year.
1. Manage and oversee the co-ordination and delivery of day-to-day operations and administration of the Community Hub as agreed with the Trustees for Carnegie Community Trust (CCT)
2. Support the Trustees in ensuring that the site used by CCT for the Community Hub is always compliant in accordance with Health & Safety, Fire Risk, Safeguarding, Covid-hygiene and Insurance guidance. Maintain any necessary paperwork to demonstrate site compliance by the Community Hub.
3. Ensure that essential services such as cleaning, waste disposal and Wi-fi are maintained. Track any repair and maintenance work; liaising with key personnel in Lambeth Council.
4. Signpost Community Hub service users, respond to room booking requests, showing potential customers round the building and answer basic enquiries pertaining to CCT activity.
5. Maintain a (currently) manual booking system for Community Hub room bookings
6. Manage purchasing, charging and book keeping as agreed with the Trustees. .
7. Engage with the local community sharing information about the Community Hub both in person and using social media
8. Take appropriate responsibility to the post for tackling inequality and racism and promoting community relations.
9. Work collaboratively with Library staff to ensure a co-ordinated sharing of the building
10. Work with the CCT Trustees and representatives of Lambeth Council to monitor planned progress towards shared aims, attending meetings with Lambeth Council and the Trustees as agreed with the Trustees.
Title of Post – Community Hub Caretaker – 5 Hours per week initially – to be agreed according to operational needs – remuneration up to £5,000 per year.
Room hiring, site compliance and security.
The successful candidate will need to be able to attend sometimes in unsocial hours, the Carnegie Community Hub , Carnegie Library, Herne Hill Rd, SE24 0AG.
1. Assist the Centre Manager and the Trustees in the operational management of hiring out rooms in the Community Hub, opening and closing the building during unsocial hours.
2. Ensure that basic facilities such as water, heating and other utilities are functioning.
3. Record and report any maintenance concerns.
4. Ensure that the whole site and all buildings are safe and secure from all intruders, vandalism and trespassers following use by the Community Hub.
5. Ensure that all doors, windows and gates are closed and/or locked so that the site is secure before leaving.
6. Take appropriate responsibility to the post for tackling inequality and racism and promoting community relations.
Carnegie Library Building
192 Herne Hill
London SE24 0AG