There will now be a formal public consultation on the supplementary planning document (SPD) which will last from February 1 until March 15. The council is set to encourage residents to have their say on the plans before they are presented to the cabinet in May for adoption.
Cllr Pete Robbins, cabinet member for housing & regeneration, said: “We are determined to preserve the unique character of Brixton which makes it such a great place to live, work and visit. Brixton has already had significant investment and become an incredibly successful town centre.
“This document will make sure people from Lambeth share the benefits of future investment, with new homes and businesses that meet their needs. Residents and business people in Brixton have told us what they want to see happen in the future, and this document will help make that a reality.
Last year Lambeth came under widespread criticism for its consultation over the draft document. A proposal to demolish Brixton Recreation Centre also caused a local outcry, forcing council leader Lib Peck to promise angry residents that the Rec will stay.
Brixton Rec users present at the meeting last night criticised cllr Peck for not including the verbal promise as a written pledge in the document. One representative said “distrust will be massive” unless written confirmation was given.
Cllr Sally Prentice said she would work with users of the centre to include the assurance in the written SPD. “Our position is to retain, refurbish and upgrade the Rec,” she added.
The Brixton Blog’s Kaye Wiggins was at the meeting, and a full report will be posted on this site shortly.